Moving your business to a new office is certainly no easy feat
What is a commercial move in Virginia?
A commercial move is an office move to a new location. While residential relocation is relatively common, relocation for businesses is not. Companies move only when they have outgrown their current space, when more space is available at another location, or if they want to change their building.
As for a business move, there are three common types of moves:
1. Expansion - An expansion move is when a business moves to another building to increase its size.
2. Relocation - A relocation move is when a business moves to another city or state.
3. Downsizing - A downsizing move is when a business moves to a smaller building or moves out of a building entirely.
The different types of licenses that a business needs to have before moving
1. A federal tax ID - this is basically like a social security number for your business
2. A state license - this depends on the type of industry that your business is in
3. An employer identification number - this is also known as the social security number of your employees
4. A charter business - if you're planning to open your own business, this is the license that's required
5. A city license - this is usually required if you're planning to open your business in a physical location
How to prepare for a commercial move in Virginia
1. Estimate how much the move will cost - start by determining the cubic footage and weight of your cargo
2. Strategize - to determine how many movers you will need, you will need a) the cubic footage of your cargo, b) the weight of your cargo, and c) how many movers you need
3. Hire professional movers -Hiring professional commercial movers in Virginia can be an excellent decision for many reasons. For one, they're experienced and know precisely how to pack and move your belongings. They'll also take care of all the paperwork and make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. You won't have to worry about a thing!
4. Pack items strategically - before packing, you need to determine what items of furniture you need and which items you can live without for a few days
5. Pack items strategically - when packing, pack items that will go in the truck first and items that will go in last
6. Label items - realize how vital it is to label all the boxes so movers know where to place them and where to put things back
The different types of vehicles that are used for commercial moves
A few different types of vehicles are used for commercial moves. The most common type of vehicle is the truck. Trucks are used for transporting large items, and they are often the most affordable option.
Trucks are often used for cross-country moves, as they can travel at high speed and cover a considerable distance in a short amount of time. They are also the most versatile option, as they can move items indoors and outdoors.
The van is a slightly less common option, but it is often used for smaller moves. For example, vans are often used to transport furniture, as they can hold many items and move them quickly.
The truckload is the most common type of move and is often used for cross-country moves. Truckload moves can transport many items simultaneously, often the most expensive option.
Tips for packing and moving your business
When moving your business, you must remember that you'll want to pack everything efficiently and safely. Here are some tips that can help you when moving your business:
- If you plan on using boxes, you should first assemble them. Packing boxes before they are made is a waste of time and space. Instead, keep the boxes together and then tape them together when the time to move comes.
- Consider using reusable packing materials such as bubble wrap, paper, etc. These materials can be reused repeatedly and are easy to pack and unorganized items.
- Consider using large, clear plastic bags for packing electronics and other high-value items. For example, if you have a lot of fragile electronics such as computer equipment, cameras, or other valuables, packing them in clear plastic bags can ensure that none break.
- Consider using packing tape, markers, and labels. Packing tape is essential for securing items and for labeling boxes. Markers and labels are also helpful, as they can help you organize your packages and keep them organized in your new home.
- Consider using an inventory sheet. An inventory sheet can be beneficial if you have many valuable or fragile items. You can list each item and mark off boxes as they arrive in your new home.
- When packing, you should keep similar items together. For example, if you're moving office equipment, you should keep computer and printer items together.
- When moving, you should label the boxes clearly. Label the boxes so you can quickly identify what is inside them when they arrive in your new home.
- When packing, you should keep essential items easily accessible. Pack necessary items, such as your computer, phone, and other expensive items, in boxes that you can easily access.
We hope that these commercial moving tips help make your move easier. If you have an upcoming move, we are here to help! Whether it's residential or commercial relocation, our team of professionals is ready and willing to take care of all the details so you can focus on getting settled in your new home. Make sure to contact us today at (203) 843-9181 if you need any assistance with packing up your belongings or planning out logistics like storage locations. And don’t forget about hiring professional movers when they are needed!